Thursday, February 26, 2009
So, this week I have discovered podcasts and I'm hooked. They're so cool. I usually just listen to music at work, but lately I've been convicted of redeeming the time. My sister has been telling me to listen to Mark Driscoll podcasts. Put the two together and 10 sermons later I'm stuck on podcasts. I found that lots of preachers and Christian leaders have podcasts. Its a great way to be immersed in the truth. I'm sure I'll have more to say about this later.
Monday, February 23, 2009
Thursday, February 19, 2009
So I promised an update on my latest adventures. It's a pretty long story that goes back almost a year.
God knows our needs before we do and this is one situation where that is definitely true. A few years ago when we lived in Lilburn, my aunt and cousin moved here from Florida and due to God working things out, my parents bought the small 3 bedroom next to our house and my aunt rented it out. We moved out to Grayson during college and they stayed there. Sometime last summer, the recession revealed its ugly downward head as it chewed out the innards of the housing market and quickly branched into almost every other area of the economy. Important because my dad worked almost exclusively for residential home builders. Also important because I moved back home after college. Fast forward to a month ago and we put our house on the market, pretty much the best house ever, that's a fact, not opinion. Lord willing, it will sell before the bank takes it. As God works things out we have a second house and my aunt moved to an apartment and we are moving into her old house. Crazy, for a bunch of reasons; 1) We are moving to a house next door to our old house of 10 years (I learned how to do remodeling on that house, my dad and I changed out the kitchen, the bathrooms and added an office). 2) The new house is the smallest in the neighborhood and the ugliest, no lie.
So, we have started the latest Law family construction project, the fixing of our new house. My aunt has dog that does not know what potty training is in the slightest. Subsequently fixing the house has meant gutting the interior and replacing all the flooring and trim. We also have plans to fix the outside, which is currently an eyesore. We have had lots of help from friends and church people and luckily I do remodeling for a living. One more instance of God's provision was my sister was able to come home this week to work and she was able borrow a pick-up truck.
In the midst of all of this I am going to try and take the MCAT again in May and get all of my med-school taken care of this summer. I also interviewed 2 weeks ago to be a BCM intern for a year. Its a longshot, but it is something I am passionate about and I am making myself available, we'll see.
Ok story over, if you read all of this and it made sense, congratulations, you are updated.
In the future, I would rather write about stuff like this:
Cellphones and computer are wearing us out.
The adrenaline rush that comes with every ring and bing wears our bodies out. That's why when people go on a technology break they feel energized and refreshed
Sunday, February 15, 2009
So, I've wanted to update everyone on what I have been up to, but things keep changing, almost on a week-to-week basis. Prov. 16:9 has never been more true. More on that in my next post
Brooke Fraser has an amazing voice and lyrics to match, thanks.
Turn off the Stars has a really good sound, kind of like coldplay
Bluetree's God of this City is inspiring
I really like Gateway Worship's Revelation Song and Heaven's Song
VOTA is a new band and there song, Honestly has a really neat message, get it.
P.S. The new Mat Kearney single sounds really good
Sunday, February 1, 2009
25 things about me
- I have 6 pairs of keens, best shoes ever.
- I've had the same job for the past 8 years
- Steepandcheap is a bane and boon to my life
- I will buy almost anything if it says new on it, especially food.
- I won the geography bee 2 years in a row
- I've only lost "Never have I ever" twice. (That's either a statement about me or my friends)
- If I ever had to go Jason Bourne, there's a sleepy beach town in Brazil named Monsuaba
- I've never used ebay
- WWII fascinates me.
- I got my first chemistry set in 2nd grade
- Kids and old people like me, among others (I don't even know why)
- I have fought a life-long battle with uncoordination (I'm still looking for the cure)
- I would describe my fashion sense as clothing that is blue or gray
- I have all 7 seasons of MacGyver
- I want to get 2 big dogs one day and name them Grover and Cleveland
- I like to cook for people
- My first car was a '92 Ford Ranger with Kingswood Nurseries decals on the side
- I talk a lot when I am really nervous.
- I fake lose things often
- I've lost 4 pairs of Oakleys, a cell phone, and an MP3 player
- I got lost somewhere along the way and I have become a internet video snob (I've acknowledged the problem and I am currently working on it)
- I used to hate talking on the phone, but now that I have texting. I would rather talk on the phone.
- I did a science fair project on flying cars in high school
- Probably the most surprising, I have more clothes than anyone else in my family. (If it still fits, why throw it away?)
Mark's Law: Don't Let your Dad's eat pie