Monday, March 30, 2009

March to Madness

There is only one time a year when you can do this and get away with it:

Its that time of year when people all over the country take part in something they know almost nothing about and cheer for teams they don't even know the location of.  I am one of those people who gladly pretends I  know something about basketball and fills out a bracket, hoping that I get some right and look like a genius, and win a pool and get some money.  My bracket is usually a schedule of the teams I want Florida to face on their way to the eventual national championship.  This worked once and it was great, I felt smart and that I knew basketball.

This year Florida has one college player, and some high school fill-ins, leaving me in a jam.  So I filled out my bracket high seeds and prophetic cinderellas (alas, the golden slipper did not fit this year).  I usually fill out a couple of brackets on different sites to maximize my winnings.  But this year I made all my brackets different, to maximize my chance of being right.  Now I have a problem, I feel like a cheater.  One of my brackets has the final four right and is in the top 99%, but it is hollow, because the rest aren't nearly that close.  So I really can't brag about being right, because I was also wrong.  

Oh the Madness

No comments: